top of page

Is It Safe To Drink From Copper?

Is It Safe To Drink From Copper? Here Are The Facts!

Copper can easily be put among the essential metals ever utilized by humans. When in touch with water, copper leaches safe amounts of copper ions, contributing to many important processes in the body. However, as with everything, badly manufactured copper vessels and improper use can cause more harm than good. So, is it safe to drink water out of copper vessels? The answer depends on different factors, and it comes down to the quality of the vessel, what you store in it, how you use it, and how often you clean it. Here are the potential benefits and risks of drinking water from copper vessels, and what you can do to ensure that you are receiving the best uses of copper- Health Benefits Antibacterial properties- Studies have shown that storing water in copper vessels ensures the elimination of harmful bacteria such as E. Coli, Salmonella, and Vibrio Cholerae. Copper vessels have an alkalizing effect on the water. Copper has been found to increase the production of red blood cells, the absorption of iron, the regulation of the heart rate and blood pressure, the immune system, connective tissue and bones, the brain and the heart, while also preventing inflammation and prostatitis. Aids the Functioning of Thyroid Gland- Copper balances the inconsistencies of the thyroid gland, that is, it energizes the thyroid gland to function well. Still, it also fights off the damaging effects of too much secretion from the thyroid gland. Assists in Digestion- Copper is an excellent remedy for stomach ulcers, indigestion, and stomach infections. Aids in Healing Wounds Faster- Copper exhibits anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. Also, copper also assists skin regeneration and strengthens the immune system, helping the body in healing wounds faster. How Much Water is Safe to Drink from a Copper Vessel? We need copper in our daily consumption for a well-functioning body. And while copper also comes from other sources, such as dark chocolate or certain nuts, adding a copper source is never a bad idea. The fact that the copper levels in copper-infused water are well within the recommended limits means that it can be safe to drink it for as long as you wish. The Risks of Improper Usage of Copper Vessels The dangers related to drinking from copper vessels can vary from an excessive intake of copper due to a reaction with acidic substances to badly manufactured vessels that contain impure copper or chemicals which can interact with the water. Here is what you should beware of when purchasing and using a copper vessel. When misused, the copper can react with the environment and release excessive amounts of copper salts. A metallic taste can be an indicator of an excessive amount of copper in the water. Ingesting these salts can cause copper toxicity. Copper toxicity is characterized by different symptoms that can range from mild to severe, and these include:

  • Nausea

  • Headaches

  • Fever

  • Vomiting

  • Blood in vomit

  • Abdominal cramps

  • Diarrhea

  • Black feces

  • Yellowing of eyes and skin (jaundice)

  • Brown ring-shaped markings in the eyes (Kayser-Fleischer rings)

  • Passing out

Additionally, copper poisoning can include the following mental and behavioral symptoms.

  • Anxiety and irritability

  • Trouble paying attention

  • Over-excitement and feeling overwhelmed

  • Unusual sadness or depression

  • Sudden mood changes

Drinking water in copper vessels is a practice that has been around since the discovery of copper. If you properly limit the use of these vessels to storing water, using them can be a safe and healthy practice.

31 views0 comments


bottom of page